3.10.2007

Love Is All - Spinning and Scratching + 2 EP (What's Your Rupture?, 2003)

Failure was a persistent leitmotif that manifested itself in the dissolution of a three year relationship, a profound disenchantment with my chosen ‘profession’ and the encroaching reality of turning thirty. As if things weren’t bad enough, I’d also decided to exacerbate my martyrdom via a self-imposed exiling to shitsville and near-complete isolation.

2004 was a total fuggin bummer, dude.

So what does this ignominious tale of woe have to do with the second Love is All ep and the cascading sheets of echo and reverb contained therein? Well, not that much, really, other than its personal significance as the crystalline memento of a pathetic impasse.

MH, a former KALX personality and determined stockpiler of speculatives, hipped me to this single shortly before my departure from LA. I was instantly hooked—its propulsive muscle and dizzyingly clamorous bluster were wholly removed from the anemic pap typical of modern indiepop. I made a mental note to turn up a copy. Coincidentally, I’d soon discover that Sonic Boom was the apparent repository for the majority of its pressing—week after week, I’d dutifully stop in and purchase a spare for friends, hither and yon, who just had to hear this. It seemed as though I’d inadvertently taken it upon myself to preach the gospel of this roid-raged heir apparent of the Dolly Mixture and Flatmates.

There are more than a few variants for the sleeve of this record. Here's the word directly from the CEO of What's Your Rupture?:

"The first copies I did had a background of Gold, Silver, or a Gold/Silver mix with cerise or red lettering. These first copies were printed on newsprint and had a full tracklisting on the cover. I then accidently ruined the words Spinning and Scratching and Ageing, so copies after the first run only had Make Out Fall Out Make Up printed on. This was also my choice for the a-side but the band chose spinning and scratching. I made a few with a yellow background during the short period gold or silver were either too expensive or nowhere to be found. And after finding a cheap white paper that folded well I stopped using newsprint. There are a few out there that are orange on gold, but they looked terrible."


AA

Songs:

Spinning and Scratching
Make Out, Fall Out, Make Up / Ageing Had Never Been His Friend