3.31.2007

Dress Up As Natives – You Had to Be There + 2 EP (Public, 1982)

I lucked out a few years back and found myself dealing with a veteran collector whose musical tastes congealed into a brackish pool that closely mirrored my own. Over the course of a few rambling emails, I’d succeeded in situating myself as the unworthy recipient of three ART DAMAGED cd’s that had been previously comped for a friend—futile muzzling attempt or not, I gleefully accepted and I’m still grateful; thanks again, Bruce! Most of the bands were standards: Gordons, Monochrome Set, Names, etc., but a few participants, like Dress Up As Natives, stuck out as unidentified, foreign entities. A web search yielded little more than their inclusion here.

Its status as a complete unknown notwithstanding, the DUAN single inhabits the same lost No Wave continuum as the Crazy Hearts and ESG. The rancorous and accusatory “YOOOUUU” in You Had to Be There drips with a disaffected monotone and palpable indignation that’s reminiscent of the sentiments best expressed in primitive 60’s garage discs. The back of the PS makes mention of practicing at the Krishna house, so it’s easy to chalk up its tone-deaf incantation as the byproduct of some poorly administered transcendental medicines.

I’m not sure how many copies of this record were pressed, but most Public releases were issued in editions of 200-500. Thanks to BC who succumbed to the collector's malaise and agreed to cut his copy loose.


AA

Songs:

Grover / Didn't Expect
You Had to Be There